Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Poconut Overlord
Default Retro Games   #1  
Who else likes to play old games for memory's sake? What games do you play? How about remakes made or that should be made?

I love to play Super Metroid 3 for the SNES. Mine worked...until THIS summer! -weeps- Now I must have an emulated version of it...only I don't have a Wii or anything if they got it on their network. Hence why I SADLY haven't played Metroid Prime 3 or Other M.

Remakes I'm sure fans have also been requesting are of Final Fantasy 7 lol I also crave a Chrono Trigger, not that I'm not happy with what they released on the DS ^w^
Last edited by Jurinjo; 08-19-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old Posted 08-19-2011, 07:30 AM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
I have played the original Final Fantasy more times than I can count. And Dragon Quest 3 a lot as well. Granted to Really prefer the remakes as they take out the annoying "You missed because your target is already dead" mechanic, but I always enjoyed them a lot.

Metroid is another series I greatly enjoy, again I prefer the remake of the first one if only because it's really confusing if you don't have an in-game map (everywhere looks the same DX) but the third one was certainly my favorite :3

♥ Never be afraid to be yourself ♥

Want to see my art or webcomic?
Serra's Art Gallery

A Neko's Quest | My Closet
Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 08-19-2011, 12:48 PM Reply With Quote  
Poconut Overlord
Default   #3  
1) I'd like to admit I have this thread in the wrong forum. Trying to get that remedied. Just so you don't wonder where this went later Serra ;3

2) I think I played the original FF2 on the Nintendo at a friend's house. But until 7 I hadn't played any of the originals.

Yeah honestly that mechanic was infuriating. I think there was one that when you tried to heal a friend that died you just didn't heal at all. Makes some sense but created a lot of anxiety when the caster themselves were near death.

I have a friend who owns a wii and said she was a nintendo fan. When I inquired about Samus...no idea who she was and never played Smash Brothers! O.o I was flabbergasted. The 3rd, I think, is held as a paragon of what the franchise should be. Certainly remains the best to date, in my opinion.

I played the original through Metroid Prime. It does all look alike unfortunately. The same goes for the second Metroid game. If I allowed myself to get distracted while playing I'd end up wandering for a couple screens before realizing I'm headed the wrong way. u_u
Old Posted 08-19-2011, 12:57 PM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
I'm still hoping the second one gets remade...I really enjoyed it though it was kind of different than the others.

The healing thing was still present in Dragon Quest 3...I even remember a spot in the manual that said that the healer was the most important when it came to speed, because look at what happens if the enemy goes first! I thought it was funny but still was annoying in a way. I think the healing part is still present in current Dragon Quests and it is a little annoying but...it just makes you think it's best to make your healer speedy :p

Not knowing who Samus is and they're a Nintendo fan? O.O That's...wow...I don't have the words :p

Serra's Art Gallery

Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 08-19-2011, 01:54 PM Reply With Quote  
Poconut Overlord
Default   #5  
It probably would make a good remake. It wasn't about space pirates as every single one of the others are.

I only ever played Dragon Quest...12? 13? The silent protagonist is helping out a cursed King and Princess. I was lovin it! ...and then somewhere along the disc it got scratched. At first I couldn't get past the Abbey part. Then when I tried starting from the beginning cause I was bored it doesn't get passed the open scene. =(

I had none at first but then I quizzed them on some iconic characters. I'm sure I might've scared them just a little. xD;
Old Posted 08-19-2011, 01:59 PM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
That one was Dragon Quest 8. It's a lovely one, but then again it's my second favorite series (after Shining Force) so I like them all. I just don't mind the grindy aspect about it because for the most part it's a pleasure to fight battles in that game. Probably because all the new ones have a pretty smart auto for the other characters.

Serra's Art Gallery

Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 08-19-2011, 02:11 PM Reply With Quote  
Poconut Overlord
Default   #7  
I jsut got paid...maybe a game store nearby still has the game somehwere. D=
I really want to play Dragon Quest 8 again. I played a Shining Force for Sega Genesis is that what you're referring to? lol

The battles in Dragon Quest never really did get boring quick. I was constantly trying to learn things about my characters as well in each battle. Each ability unlocked changed things drastically enough I would battle purely to rethink my strategies.
Old Posted 08-19-2011, 02:19 PM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
Yes, shining force was originally on the Sega Genesis ^^ I've played...practically all the Shining spinoff games, even the ones that were not strategy based XD

Yes, unlike some other RPGs, Dragon Quest battles can change pretty dynamically based on skills, especially since there isn't one "uber" skill that always works well, just a lot of different ones that affect enemies in different ways.

Serra's Art Gallery

Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 08-19-2011, 10:02 PM Reply With Quote  
Poconut Overlord
Default   #9  
Wow :o
I only played one of them via a computer emulator. I enjoyed it but once I got to like the second battle (?) where you're fighting on the world map the battle was painful. Then later the battle moving up north was even worse.

I bought Dragon Quest 8 at GameStop thanks to our convo xD
Also made a review but it's lame and choppy :c I also forgot to include the frustration of navigating the menu.
Old Posted 08-21-2011, 06:10 AM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
I read your review XD I'm biased about Dragon Quest...because it always was one I could go back to if I didn't know what to play. I admit I also like being able to talk to your party members while in town, as they usually said some really funny stuff...

Serra's Art Gallery

Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 08-21-2011, 05:19 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #11  
I grew up on computer games rather than consoles. Games I'd still like to play but am having issues getting hold of would be Lemmings 2, Dungeonmaster, and maybe the odd Ultima game. Haven't played those in a while, not since Baldur's Gate came out.
Old Posted 08-24-2011, 10:40 PM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
I started with Ultima 4 on the NES before I found out they were originally computer games XD I've played them all but the only one I actually finished was Ultima 4...with my dear shepherd.

Serra's Art Gallery

Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 08-24-2011, 11:07 PM Reply With Quote